Back in 2015, I travelled to Ireland to present at the Society for Longitudinal and Lifecourse Studies conference in Dublin Castle. While I was in Dublin, I wandered into a fabric shop and bought this luxurious black and white printed fabric (content now unknown). I knew I wanted to make a dress out of it, so I bought 3 yards, but it took me 2 years to build up the courage to cut into it.
As soon as I was invited to a wedding this fall, I knew I wanted to make a dress for it. It turns out that I didn’t actually wear this dress to the wedding, but to the rehearsal dinner instead.
As of last Wednesday, I am officially a doctoral candidate. I made this dress for the occasion, and wore it to my dissertation proposal defense. With this being such a special occasion, it was a risk for me to make a new-to-me pattern, but that’s exactly what I did. This is NewLook6123. After having such great success with NewLook 0180/6184, I was hoping that this dress would fit the same.
Last week I posted my fall sewing plans, but before I dive into starting on those, I want to share a final summer make. This is the Sewaholic Saltspring dress, made from a Craftsy kit.
Back in May two of my good friends from college got married. I knew I wanted to make a dress for the occasion, and the dress code was black tie optional. This make required some serious thought (and investment), so I went to my local fabric shop, Mulberry Silks for inspiration. I was only looking for ideas (silouette, color, fabric type), but walked out with the Burda 6994 pattern and 4 yards of a gorgeous Vera Wang sateen. Fortunately they have a student discount!