Over the weekend, I had two friends over for a sewing night. They both have a pretty vintage style and are well-versed in vintage patterns. I figured there was no better time to make my first vintage pattern!
I bought this pattern on a whim at a flea market in Frederick, MD over Christmas. It’s Butterick 4110 from 1965. I made view C, which has cap sleeves and a high cowl neck. It’s only 4 pieces: front, back, cowl inset, and sleeve facings. The neckline is actually quite tiny, necessitating a long zipper in the back of the shirt.
This pattern fits great right out of the envelope. I bought size 12, which is for a 32″ bust. I can confirm the rumor that sewing pattern fit has changed over time. This pattern has just the right amount of ease. The dart is in the right place. And, it’s a perfect length that doesn’t need to be tucked in! It works great with my (yet-to-be-blogged) mid-rise Closet Case Patterns Sasha Trousers.
I’m undecided on how I feel about this top. It fits great, and is quite comfortable, but I’m unsure about the neckline. I’ve never seen a high-necked cowl before–and there might be a reason why this hasn’t been recreated. Brandon thinks that the neckline looks like a bank robber. This is my floral bank robber uniform, apparently. Fortunately, it was a very low investment, since the fabric was leftover from another project.
Pattern: Butterick 4110 from 1965, size 12, vies C
Fabric: 1 yard damask rose viscose poplin from Blackbird Fabrics, leftover from this Natalie top
Notions: 18″ zipper, interfacing and thread from stash
Cost: $1.50 zipper =$1.50 ($4.50 if you count the cost of the pattern)
Time: 3.5 hours