One day last month I woke up with a crazy idea: “I think I’ll make a dress to wear to dinner tonight.” Brandon and I had reservations at the nice French restaurant in town, and I wanted a new dress to wear for the occasion. Enter the Davie Dress by Sewaholic!
I’ve made the Davie once before, a work appropriate black and white version. This time, I made view c, the short, sleeveless version. I used the same black poly pique from my first version, managing to almost squeeze it into my leftovers. I ended up ordering another yard of it to supplement.
On my first version, I made raised the armscye by 1″ based on previous reviews of the pattern. For some reason, I just couldn’t wrap my head around how to do this on the sleeveless version, so I didn’t. All’s well that ends well, though, and this worked out fine. I’m using a very stable fabric, which prevents this area from getting stretched out or droopy.
To simplify this dress even further, I cut both the front and back panels on the fold (the pattern has them written as separate pieces). I like the clean look that this gives the dress, and the way that it accentuates the princess seams. With this alteration, the pattern only has 6 pieces: front, back, front side (x2), and back side (x2).
Even though I was in a time crunch, I took my time with the few seams that the dress had left, and topstitched along each side of every seam. I think this adds a little pizzaz to an otherwise very simple LBD. I’ve lightened up this last picture so that you can see these lines. Even with this little luxury, my dress was ready for dinner with about an hour to spare!
Pattern: Davie Dress by Sewaholic, size 2
Fabric: 2 yards Telio Paola black pique knit
Notions: Self-made bias tape from stash
Cost: $7.98 fabric + bias tape and thread from stash = $7.98
Time: 4 hours