Sewaholic Renfrew Tees (x3)

Standard

I’ve checked off the first box on my fall sewing list! Today I’m showing off 3 t-shirts, made with the Sewaholic Renfrew pattern. I made a variety of views of the pattern, with a variety of fabrics, and each turned out a little differently.

fullsizeoutput_e70

For test version I used a black rayon knit from my stash. This was originally a remnant from Joann’s, so it was probably 1 yard at most. I made the short-sleeve scoop neck version. This shirt has the fit that I had anticipated. Fitted, but not tight. It should be a great replacement for my Target black t-shirt that is so old I’ve worn a hole in it. Even though it’s lower than a crew neck, this isn’t a full scoop neck line like the Plantain. Fortunately, that means that this neckline doesn’t gape open when I bend over.

fullsizeoutput_e7a

Next, I made this purple 3/4 sleeve, v-neck version with a rayon knit. I cut the same size as the black version, but this one feels tighter. This knit is a little less stable, so I may have stretched it a little bit when pinning on the pattern pieces, meaning that they turned out a little smaller than I intended. Nevertheless, this is probably my favorite of the three versions. It is extremely soft and comfortable, and can be dressed up or down.

fullsizeoutput_e85

My third version is grey with long-sleeves, and is made with a thinner poly-rayon blend. The fabric has stripes woven into its texture, which drew me to it. The shirt is the tightest of the three versions, and it is made from the thinest fabric, which probably isn’t the greatest combination. I also had to redo the neckline, and it looks like I stretched it out in the process. Nevertheless, I intended for this to be a layering piece, so I’m sure it’ll get plenty of wear.

fullsizeoutput_e87

On all 3 versions, I sewed the seams on my sewing machine with a zig-zag, and then finished the seams with my serger. I haven’t figured out a setting on the serger that I like yet for sewing seams, so this is my go-to strategy. I used the twin-needle on the sewing machine to top-stitch the necklines. I love the professional finish that this gives.

fullsizeoutput_e78

It’s been interesting to see how different the fit is on each of these shirts, despite them all being the same size. Fabric choice really does matter! If/when I make more of these, I may size-up just a hair, or maybe just use smaller seam allowances. The pattern is drafted for 5/8″, but it’s really easy to use 3/8″ with knit fabric.

Abstract
Pattern: Sewaholic Renfrew, size 2
Fabric: 1 yard black rayon knit remnant from stash, 1.5 yards grey polyester-rayon-spandex rib knit @ $7.79/yrd, 1.5 yards purple rayon knit @ 8.99/yd (all from Joann’s)
Notions: 1/4″ elastic from stash
Cost: $ fabric + elastic from stash = $27.16 ($41.58 if you count the pattern)
Time: 6 hours (2 hours each)

Advertisements

One thought on “Sewaholic Renfrew Tees (x3)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s