Sewaholic Saltspring

Standard

Last week I posted my fall sewing plans, but before I dive into starting on those, I want to share a final summer make. This is the Sewaholic Saltspring dress, made from a Craftsy kit.

fullsizeoutput_e2c

This is my first time making this pattern. Like all Sewaholic patterns, it fit me well without any fit adjustments, and came together easily. I did make one modification, though: I omitted the back zipper. Why do patterns with elastic waists include zippers so frequently? If anyone knows, I’d really love to hear. I trust Tasia’s drafting, so I wasn’t sure that I could omit the zipper until the dress was almost finished. This meant that I had to do a decent amount of unpicking (including understitching) in order to sew up the back seam with the lining and outer fabric for a clean finish. Next time, I would just cut the back on the fold rather than in two pieces. If you’re on the fence about including the zipper in this pattern, I can vouch that it is unnecessary. I can pull it on over either my shoulders or hips just fine without it.

fullsizeoutput_e2e

This blousy style is a little outside of my comfort zone. I tend to wear more fitted tops, but it’s nice to mix it up. The boy thinks that the dress is really unflattering, but I don’t really care. It looks pretty flattering in these pictures where I’m standing up straight, IMO. There are some others that didn’t make it to the blog where my posture is not so great, though, and I can see his point. I guess I’ll just have to keep working on standing up straight!

fullsizeoutput_e35

The fabric that came in the Craftsy kit is a super lightweight rayon, which is perfect for summer. I’m interested to see how wrinkly it gets in the wash. It did just fine prewashing, but some of my other rayon garments get pretty wrinkly, and ironing a summer dress is not something that interests me.

fullsizeoutput_e39

Overall, the verdict is that this dress is super comfortable and breathable for hot summer days. Between this dress, and my Ogden camis, I’m getting a lot of use out of the strapless bra that I made earlier this summer!

Abstract
Pattern: Sewaholic Saltspring, size 2
Fabric: 3.5 yards lightweight rayon from a Craftsy kit (now sold out)
Notions: 1/4″ elastic
Cost: $27.20 kit + elastic from stash = $27.20
Time: 5 hours

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s