Do these fabrics look familiar? That’s because they are all leftover from a pair of running tights I made this winter. I didn’t have enough leftovers to make another pair of tights, so I decided to make a matching sports bra instead. I am guilty of wearing them at the same time… though with a shirt on top!
All of the materials came from my stash. Everything. So, if you don’t count the cost of the pattern, this bra was completely free! If you do count the pattern, it was under $15, which is about what I normally pay for a sports bra (typically on clearance at Target).
This was a surprisingly quick project. I estimate that it took about 4 hours from start to finish. I followed the pattern as written, with one exception. After reading a few reviews of this pattern (especially this one from Lladybird), I decided to shorten the elastic at the bottom by a few inches for a more snug fit.
I’m currently in physical therapy for a recurring Achilles injury, so I have not been able to test this sports bra out on a run. I can only vouch that it works just fine during pilates and yoga. Hopefully I’ll be able to give it a go on a run soon!
Pattern: Sewaholic Dunbar view B in size 2
Fabric: Spacedye wine jersey from Joann’s, black stripe contrast knit from Joann’s, powermesh leftover from this bra kit
Notions: 3/4″ elastic
Cost: fabric from stash + elastic from stash = Free! ($13.70 if you count the cost of the pattern)
Time: 4 hours