These are the “real deal.” After successfully making a wearable muslin of the Ginger jeans in September, I upped my game and used ~fancy~ materials for this pair. Since this is my second time making this pattern in a short period of time, Im going to focus on the changes I made from my first pair of Gingers to this pair.
First of all, I made a size smaller. For my first pair, I made a size 6 as indicated by my measurements. The waistband turned out a little large, so I decided to make a size 4 this time, with the same modifications of shortening the legs and curving the waistband. I may have been a little overzealous there. I knew that the denim from the first pair has more stretch in it than this fancy Cone Mills denim, but I didn’t really take that into account. This pair certainly fits, but they’re the tightest jeans I’ve owned since gaining 10 pounds studying abroad in Paris.
The big difference between this pair and my first, though, is the quality of materials. Instead of using some random denim from Joann’s, I used the legendary Cone Mills denim, purchased from Threadbare Fabrics. Specifically, this is their 12-ounce s-gene denim in indigo. I ordered it back in July when I first started my jeans-making adventure. I’m happy to say that it’s made in the US, and so far lives up to its reputation. It has just a tiny bit of stretch–just how I like my jeans, and excellent recovery. No baggy butt here!
I also used rivets on this pair. I’m pretty proud of them, so you’re getting some close-up pictures in this post. Rivets are tricky to install if you’ve never done it before, especially on areas with lots of layers, which is where they typically go. I chose to put them on the outside of the butt pockets and the outside of the front pockets. I wanted to put one on the coin pocket as well, but I was struggling with all of the layers in that area. To put them in, you first poke a hole through all of the layers with awl, then you poke the pointy end of the rivet through and cap it off with the other end. Next comes the fun part. To create a permanent bond between the two parts, you have to hammer them together. You can’t hammer them on wood, though, because the rivet will just go into the wood. Instead, you need a metal surface, such as a cast-iron skillet. I managed to make a lot of noise out on the deck one night…
I am super happy with how these jeans turned out. Hopefully they will stretch out just a teensy bit with wear so they will be super comfortable in addition to looking great. Now that I have two great pairs of jeans, I don’t think I’ll be making any more in the near future. I try to only make clothes that I wear, and two pairs of well-fitting jeans is more than I’ve had for quite a while, so I don’t need any more. When I do make a new pair, though, I’m going to get a little creative and make a fun design for the back pockets.
Pattern: Ginger Jeans by Closet Case Patterns in size 4
Fabric: 2 yards 12 Oz Cone Mills S-Gene Denim in Indigo @ $16.00/yard
Notions: jeans button, interfacing rivets, black thread, tan topstitching thread
Cost: $38.00 fabric (with shipping) +$9.00 jeans making kit + $2.00 thread + interfacing and topstitching thread from stash = $49.00
Time: 5 hours