As someone who studies the transition to adulthood, I am acutely aware of how others portray themselves as adults. I see on social media that 20-somethings are frequently proud of themselves for “adulting,” whether that means buying vegetables at the grocery store or getting their oil changed. One signature of being an adult for me is wearing real dedicated pajamas rather than that t-shirt from middle school.
This fun butterfly fabric was a gift from my dad’s wife. It’s a soft cotton-poly blend. Originally we had planned to make this into an oversized button-down sleep shirt. I even have cute little buttons for it. Somewhere along the way, though, I deviated from that plan and decided to make a little short and tank set.
The pattern I used is the Grainline Studio Lakeside Pajamas. I’ve seen a lot of these around the internet since the pattern came out in 2013. It features gym-style shorts that curve up around the sides and a tank that crosses over in the back mimicking the same curved hem. This style of sorts is all the rage with undergrads at UNC, which may have subconsciously drawn me to this pattern.
Because I deviated from the original plan, I ended up not using the buttons but needing some additional supplies: non-roll elastic for the waistband and 7 yards of 1/4″ bias tape. I could have made my own bias tape (like most reviews of this pattern recommend), but I didn’t for a few reasons. First, 7 yards is a lot of bias tape. That is a lot of ironing, even with my handy-dandy bias tape maker. Second, 1/4″ bias tape is pretty narrow. I would need a smaller bias tape maker than the ones I already own. And, finally, I thought that neon green would be a fun contrast to the butterfly fabric. Who says adults can’t wear neon colors (and butterflies)?
As usual, the Grainline instructions were easy to follow, and everything came together as it should. I just found out that there’s even an online tutorial on how to use the bias binding on this particular pattern. I think that I assembled the shorts and top in one evening, and then finished them off with all of the bias binding in another.
All in all, this was a quick, easy, satisfying project that will get lots of wear. My only caution for others considering making this pattern is the sizing. The shorts definitely fall on the small range. I made a size 0 for the top and 4 for the shorts. For the next go-round, I’ll probably make a size 6 for the shorts (even though my measurements are closer to the size 2).