Sewaholic Yaletown Dress

Standard

A while ago I made the dangerous decision to sign up for Craftsy’s mailing list. I get occasional emails from them, now, advertising classes and sewing kits. Right before mother’s day, I was tempted enough to open up the email and click on a link. About an hour of browsing later, I ordered two kits. The first became my mom’s mother’s day present, the other, this dress.

IMG_6155

At first glance, the kits seemed a little expensive to me. I only allowed myself to look at the ones on sale, and this one came to  $20.34. After a little consideration, though, I think it was a good buy. If I were to buy the pattern itself, it would be about $12, leaving me only $8 to buy 4 yards of fabric. That’s not very realistic. So, this dress is one of my more expensive at $20, but I now have a great pattern to use over and over.

IMG_6151

Speaking of patterns, this is the Sewaholic Yaletown Dress. It is a faux wrap dress made for woven fabrics with flutter sleeves and elastic waist covered by a self-fabric belt. I liked this dress when it first came out, but wasn’t sure how its blousiness would suite me, so I didn’t buy it right away. The pairing of the pattern and the floral fabric in this kit convinced me to give it a try. To combat the blousiness, I made a size 0 at the shoulders graded to a 4 at the waist. In retrospect, the blousiness isn’t as dramatic as I had feared, and I probably could have made a straight size 2 where my measurements put me. I’m happy with the fit as-is, though.

IMG_6159

In terms of construction, everything came together easily. I sewed it up on my sewing machine and finished the seams using my serger. The trickiest part for me was staystitching the neckline. This should be a very simple step, but my tension wasn’t quite right. On the left side, I ended up shortening the neckline. It doesn’t lay complete flat now, but I think that the pattern hides it pretty well. The pattern includes step for threadloops around the waist to hold the belt, and a tack at the neckline to hold it closed. I skipped both of those steps, but just this morning (post-pictures) went back and tacked the neckline closed.

IMG_6166

I’m very happy with how this dress turned out. It is the favorite thing I’ve made in a while (sorry other projects!). This dress is versatile and fits in really nicely to my wardrobe. Hello pockets! It is classy enough to wear to work or semi-dressy social events like baby showers. It can be dressed up with heels, or down with sandals.

IMG_6164

Abstract
Notions: 1/4″ elastic
Fabric:  4 yards of floral polyester fabric from a Craftsy kit
Cost: $20.34 for the complete kit + elastic from the stash = $20.34
Time: 7 hours
Advertisements

One thought on “Sewaholic Yaletown Dress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s