Over the past couple of months, I’ve been doing my best to use up fabric from my stash and buy new fabric strategically. We’re planning on moving in the near future, so using up the stash seemed like a great idea for two reasons: 1) We won’t have to move it; and 2) I’d save some money for the move.
Almost all of my scraps are leftover from making clothes for myself. This means that I have a lot of scraps in odd, not-too-large shapes, and need projects that don’t take up a lot of fabric. I’ve found that bibs are perfect for this purpose. Now, I realize that bibs aren’t very exciting, but I’ve made a ton of them, and, as a collection I think they warrant a post, so here goes… I’ve made three different styles of bibs from my stash – all free patterns from See Kate Sew.
First up is the bandana bib. This is the bib that I started with. It is a super simple make, and I had everything I needed already in my stash: fun scraps of fabric for the front, absorbent towel fabric for the back, and snaps. Now, these might not be materials that everyone has lying around, but for a multitude of reasons, I did. I already explained why I have lots of scraps; that one’s obvious. The towel is leftover from making my brother reusable Swiffer covers for Christmas. And the snaps? Well, you can’t exactly buy a small quantity of snaps, and last year I made my other brother reusable paper towels for Christmas.
In terms of construction, this bib is basically just a triangle. You sew the two sides right sides together, and then flip it right-side-out and top stitch around the edges. Then, you add snaps, and voila, a bib. As you can see, I got a little obsessed with making these, and ended up making 12 of them (2 were already given as gifts). They take the smallest amount of fabric of the three types of bibs, by far. They also seemed to be the most versatile (gender-neutral depending on the fabric) and easiest to use. I’m not expert, but I would imagine it’s easier to snap something around a baby’s neck than deal with a button or tying a bow. Feel free to correct me, though!
Next up is the ruffle trim bib. This one closes with a single button, and is framed with a ruffle. It is cotton on both sides, with an absorbent inner layer to help clean up messes. This bib turned out huge. Definitely for a toddler, not an infant. I am confident that I printed the pattern out at 100%, so I think this is by design. The pattern calls for a 14″ long ruffle; however, I ended up using closer to 41″ of ruffle. Hopefully 14″ is just a typo on the website, and I didn’t make a bib fit for a giant.
I used my new ruffle foot to make the yellow ruffle for this bib. This foot looks scary, but is actually pretty simple. You tell it how far apart you want the ruffles with that lever on the top, and then it makes little tiny pleats according to your setting. It whizzes through fabric, making an almost 4-foot-long ruffle in no time.
Last up is the biased bib. This bib looks old school to me, like something that would be used in the 1950’s. It ties with a bow, and its defining feature is its bias tape trim and tie. For this bib, I used a red rose print fabric and pink bias tape, both from my stash.
I actually made two of these bibs, but only one turned out. This one is made from two layers of cotton, with interfacing in between. The other one had a layer of fleece inside instead of interfacing. It looked great until I tried to put on the binding. It was just a little too thick for the bias to wrap around and be sewn down neatly.
Believe it or not, Kate has at least one more bib pattern on her website. I’ve gotten my bib fix in, though, and am looking forward to some more interesting projects. They have served their purpose, and my stash is much reduced!