My first Go Anywhere Dress is my all-time favorite dress. It can be dressed up or down, and layers well for all seasons. I wear it nearly every week, and sometimes wish I could wear it twice a week. So, I decided to make another version.
I bought this fabric during a spontaneous post-Christmas trip to Joann’s with my mom. I found it in the upholstery fabric clearance section without a price tag. It wasn’t as cheap as I had hoped, but I bought 1.5 yards, with this dress vaguely in mind.
Now, my one qualm about my first version of this dress is that I didn’t properly finish the edges, and it is fraying like crazy on the inside. I made up for that on this version, and serged all of the pattern pieces before assembling the dress. I didn’t clip any corners when assembling it, either, as I didn’t want to mess up the finished edges. Because it is upholstery fabric with a lot of texture, the material is loosely woven and very prone to fraying.
I used an invisible zipper in this dress, which is different from my other two Go Anywhere Dresses. Honestly, this was out of necessity, as this was the only orange dress-length zipper at Joann’s. It worked out well, though, and may be my best ever invisible zipper.
In terms of fit this pattern is great right out of the envelope for me. I sewed up size extra small, and then just just had one tweak to make. I took in the back princess seams by a smidge (up to 1/2″ in spots) to remedy some pooling in the lower back area. Thanks to the princess seams, this was a super easy fix.
I made a few refinements on this version in terms of construction, and managed to do everything on the machine. No hand stitching! The instructions suggest tacking down the neckline facing at the shoulders by hand. Instead, I stitched in the ditch at the shoulders to tack down the neckline and armhole facings at the same time. I also stitched in the ditched under the arms to tack down the armhole facings a second time. Because this fabric is so thick, it absorbs stitches, and I was able to sew the hem by machine as well. All of these tweaks made assembly pretty quick. I probably spent about 5 hours assembling the dress, after cutting it out.
This version isn’t quite as versatile as my blue version, but I still think it should get some good wear. It is quite springy, and slightly warm due to the fabric, so I think it will make a great transitional piece for the spring. Down here in the South, we get a bit of a prolonged spring, that will start in a few short weeks. It feels like it is starting already, though. It was 70 degrees today!