This little tunic features an organic cotton top with a button detail on the shoulders and a gathered blue skirt. It is my second Burdastyle pattern, and comes from the same June 2014 magazine as last year’s fall baby dress. The pattern pieces are actually modified versions of the same pattern, cut in a bigger size.
In addition to using a pattern I already had, all of the materials came from my stash. The top is made from an organic cotton leftover from a failed shirt experiment. The textured blue skirt is made from fabric leftover from my favorite Go Anywhere Dress. Even the notions are from the stash! The buttons came off of one of Brandon’s old shirts, and the blue bias tape of unknown origin was found in my drawer.
Construction wise, I tried to be as clean as possible. All seams are serged, except the waist seam, which is bound in bias tape so it isn’t scratchy. The neckline is also finished with bias tape, while the sleeve hems and skirt hem are simply served and folded under. I tried to get creative with the buttons, and place them in a zig-zag motif. Unfortunately, this didn’t really work out, and just looks like shoddy craftsmanship. I doubt anyone will notice, though, as its intended wearer has beautiful long hair.
When I saw my niece for the first time this weekend, I thought for sure that the tunic would be too small. Her mom assured me I was wrong. But, two-year-olds don’t always cooperate and want to try on new clothes at opportune moments, so I hope she’s right! If not, she has a little sister who can grow into it.