Sewaholic Hollyburn

Standard

After seeing a million versions of the Hollyburn around the blogosphere, I decided that I wanted to give it a go myself. I had a blue skirt in high school and college that had a similar shape that I absolutely loved. Somewhere along the line either my waist got smaller, or I started wearing my skirts higher, and it no longer fit. This is my attempt at a replacement skirt.

I actually bought this pattern a few months ago, intending to sew it up in a floral cotton sateen. It turns out that I didn’t buy enough fabric, so I ended up making my floral pencil skirt with it. The PDF pattern sat taped together and ready to go on my floor for months.

IMG_7093

The fabric I used in the end is actually upholstery fabric from Joann’s.  I was fabric shopping with my dad’s wife, and we couldn’t find anything we liked. It was a real struggle, as Joann’s can be. I bet you know what I’m talking about. Once we had kind of given up and were wandering in the upholstery section, though, we came across this lightweight blue cotton canvas with white swirls. I thought it was fun, and Isabel loves blue, so it worked out.  We bought 1.5 yards, thinking that I’d make a skirt out of it.

Well, I underestimated again. You’d think that I would have learned my lesson.  I intended to make view B, which is the medium length-option that calls for 1 3/4 yards of 60″ fabric, or 2 3/4 yards of 45″ fabric. Not having enough fabric, I figured that I’d make view C, the shorter option. The skirt is drafted so that the shorter version has more fullness, so I didn’t have enough fabric to make that version either. In order to make it work, I used the more narrow view B, but shortened it to the length of view C. It worked!

IMG_7117

This pattern is super simple, but this wasn’t the quickest make for me because I really took my time with the finishes.  I sewed all of the seams on my sewing machine, and then finished them with the serger.  I like the effect that this gives better than only using the serger.  Then, I hand-stitched the waistband facing and the hem. I was able to do this in a few evenings while watching tv. Of course, I sewed the buttons on by hand, too. They’re not functional, so no buttonholes were needed.

IMG_7168

Overall, I really like this skirt. It’s comfortable, allows me to sit in all kinds of positions (in contrast to, say, a pencil skirt), and is fun. Despite cutting a narrower version, the skirt is still full enough to pass the twirl test, and the upholstery fabric adds a bit of structure. The button tabs add a little bit of interest that would otherwise be missing. My only complaint would be that the waistband is straight rather than curved.  It just feels a little awkward to me, but no big deal.  

IMG_7125

Abstract
Pattern: Sewaholic Hollyburn in size 2
Fabric: 1.5 yards of lightweight canvas from Joann Fabrics
Cost: Gifted fabric + $1.99 zipper + $2.97 buttons  = $4.96 ($14.71 if you count the pattern)
Time: 6 hours

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Sewaholic Hollyburn

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s