Completed Anise!

Standard

I did it! You guys, this is a proud moment for me. There were some bumps along the way (including my mom saying this jacket was “too ugly to make”) but I’ve officially finished making my Anise jacket.  It took me most of my spring break, and I probably won’t get to wear it again until the fall, but I am so excited.

IMG_6667

The jacket fits great. I didn’t make any changes from the pattern, or the muslin.  There was some odd pulling around the bust on the muslin that I just couldn’t figure out.  I thought that a heavier fabric would weigh down the jacket a little bit and eliminate the pulling, and, thankfully, I was right.

IMG_6635

Now, let’s talk fabric. When I wrote up the post about my muslin, I had just ordered this awesome 100% wool melton from Fabric.com.  The pattern called for 2.75 yards of fabric for my version and size.  I could only order by increments of one-half yards, so I ordered 3 yards to be on the safe side.  The jacket only took 1.5 yards–at the most!  I don’t need any more jackets at this point, so the leftovers will probably be sitting in my stash for a while.  Not the worst thing in the world. I used plain muslin for the interlining, as instructed, and a navy Bemberg rayon lining. For the interfacing, I knew I wanted to use quality material, since I’ve been having mixed luck recently.  I ended up ordering some mid-weight weft interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.  It arrived amazingly quickly, and is unlike any other interfacing I’ve worked with.  Quite a treat.

The buttons were the last piece that I bought for the jacket. My local fabric shop, Mulbery Silks, has a wonderful button selection.  I spent a good 30 minutes searching for the perfect buttons, and I think I found them!

IMG_6651I guess I should probably say something about the construction of the jacket, huh? Everything went together surprisingly smoothly, despite trying two advanced (IMO) techniques for the first time.  These are my first bound buttonholes, and my first welt pockets.  I made a test version of the pocket on a scrap piece of fabric, but for the buttonholes I dove right in on the real version. I’m quite proud of how they turned out. The instructions, and the companion guide with step-by-step pictures, especially, were super clear and walked me through each new technique. I did make one slight change to the pattern, by omitting shoulder pads.  I originally put one in, and consensus told me that it looked better without.

It is now officially spring, and feels like it here in North Carolina.  Nevertheless, I’ve been wearing this jacket like it’s still chilly outside.  I went up to Maryland for a wedding this weekend (more on that later…) and got to wear it in more appropriate weather.  I can report that cropped sleeves and snow don’t exactly go together.  Fortunately, it hardly ever snows down in North Carolina.

IMG_6628

Well, I could go on and on about this jacket, but I’ll try to wrap it up and not bore you with an 8-page post. When I showed the jacket to my grandmother, who is a tailor by trade, she couldn’t believe that I had made it. If that’s not a stamp of approval, I don’t know what is.

IMG_6638

Abstract
Fabric: Teal Wool Melton from Fabric.com, Navy Rayon Bemberg Lining from Joann’s, Plan Muslin Underlining
Notions: 8 1″ buttons from Mulbery Silks, Weft Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply, 2 spools of thread
Cost: Free, thanks to a wonderful Christmas present!
Time: Too long to count
Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Completed Anise!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s