Guess what? I made a muslin! For Christmas, my boyfriend gave me Colette’s Anise jacket pattern and a promise to buy the necessary fabric and notions to make it. I wanted to make the most out of my present, so I made a muslin of the pattern. It looks just a little bit like a clown costume.
I cut the straight size 2, which corresponded to most of my measurements. I am not a fit expert, so I’m having a hard time deciding if it needs any tweaks. Consider this post my thinking out loud through potential issues. Please weigh in and tell me what you think!
First I needed to decide whether to make it with full sleeves or 3/4 sleeves. The pictures confirm my initial thoughts: 3/4 sleeves it is. From the front, it’s clear that one sleeve is set in much better than the other. Since one side looks fine, I’ll ignore the weird drag lines on the other. My concern here is how tight it looks across the chest. It feels fine, so I’m not sure what is going on there.
From the side, it appears to be slightly shorter in the front than the back. Another reviewer made this same comment. I’m not sure if this is a design element or not, but I’m inclined to not mess with the length. Thoughts?
From the other side, the weird pulling around the bust is more obvious. I can’t imagine that I would need a full bust adjustment, since I, uh, don’t have a full bust, and my actual measurement is smaller than recommended for this size. I’m not sure how to fix what appears to be, but doesn’t feel like, pulling. Help!
I was a little concerned that the back was baggy, but it doesn’t look bad at all in these pics. The shoulders seem to be in the right place, and I think the length hits in a nice place. Most importantly: it passed the hug test with flying colors. Full range of arm movement for the win!
I just ordered the wool I am going to use for the actual version. It’s a dark aqua wool melton from Fabric.com. The hunt for buttons is about to begin. This adventure shall be continued!